A New York mother said her healthy 15-month-old daughter died from organ failure and cardiac arrest two days after receiving three vaccines at a routine ‘well visit.’

“I’m in complete shock. This is a child that was perfectly healthy,” Katherine Palombi, the mother of 15-month-old Melody, told News 12.

“It was the most horrible day of my life. I got to work. She waved goodbye to me that morning and then my mother called saying she was having trouble breathing. I just kept saying, she just had vaccines, she just had vaccines,” Palombi explained.

Palombi brought Melody to her pediatrician’s office, the Herbert Kania Pediatric Group in Warwick, for her 15-month well visit.

Melody received three vaccines during the visit, according to News 12.


Tragically, Melody stopped breathing, went into cardiac arrest, and experienced liver and kidney failure two days later.

News 12 reports:

Melody was brought to St. Anthony’s Hospital by ambulance. She says the child’s grandmother, who was caring for her that day, was instructed by 911 to perform CPR until paramedics could arrive. She says emergency medical personnel and hospital staff attempted lifesaving measures for several hours to no avail.

“They brought me in the room, and I saw her laying there,” recalls Palombi. “They said time of death 11:13. I just completely hit the floor. I completely passed out.”

Hospital records obtained by News 12 show the baby suffered liver and kidney failure, as well as cardiac arrest.

News 12 reached out to the Herbert Kania Pediatric Group, but they declined to comment.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says up to 10 vaccines are recommended for 15-month-olds and Melody’s medical records show she had three – for varicella, DTaP and Hib.

The National Center for Biotechnology Information says allergic reactions to vaccines are rare and are caused by either the vaccine itself or components – like egg and gelatin, and less frequently, yeast or latex.

Palombi said Melody was previously hospitalized with a high fever and body rash after receiving vaccinations at two-months-old.

According to the outlet, she believes the vaccinations were too much for her daughter’s body to handle in both cases.

Join The Conversation. Leave a Comment.

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.