North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum has suspended his presidential campaign after failing to qualify for the fourth GOP primary debate.

“We launched our campaign for President June 7 clear-eyed about our mission: bring a business leader and proven governor’s voice to the fight for the best of America. We are a nation built on freedom, liberty, and personal responsibility. A nation where neighbors help neighbors, and where innovation, not regulation, lifts us all to reach our highest potential. We remain committed to improving the lives of every American by moving America 180 degrees in the opposite direction of Joe Biden on three critical issues – the economy, energy, and national security,” Burgum said in a statement announcing the suspension of his campaign.

Image

POLITICO reports:

North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum dropped his bid for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination on Monday after repeatedly polling in the single digits and failing to qualify for the third and fourth GOP debates.

Burgum is the latest candidate to drop out of the race, following former South Carolina Sen. Tim Scott, Vice President Mike Pence, Miami Mayor Francis Suarez, former Rep. Will Hurd and businessperson Perry Johnson.

In his statement, Burgum criticized the Republican National Committee’s “clubhouse debate requirements” that kept him from qualifying for November and December debates.

Advertisement

“The RNC’s mission is to win elections. It is not their mission to reduce competition and restrict fresh ideas by ‘narrowing the field’ months before the Iowa caucuses or the first in the nation New Hampshire primary,” he said in a statement.

“This effort to nationalize the primary system is unhealthy for the future of the party, especially for a party that proclaims to value leadership from outside of Washington,” he continued in the statement.

Burgum ran a mostly self-funded campaign, thanks to his prior career as a software entrepreneur. Burgum’s company, Great Plains Software, sold in 2001 to Microsoft for $1.1 billion.

Fox News added:

Burgum’s two debate appearances, including a feisty performance at the second showdown, a FOX Business co-hosted event at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California, in late September, did little to boost his campaign.

Burgum – little known outside of North Dakota – was unable to see his poll numbers rise above the single digits as he struggled to compete against rivals with much higher national name recognition.

After failing to make the stage in the third debate, Burgum pledged to stay in the race through the Jan. 15 Iowa caucuses and Jan. 23 New Hampshire primary. Burgum had campaigned heavily in the two states.

In ending his bid, Burgum emphasized that “while this primary process has shaken my trust in many media organizations and political party institutions, it has only strengthened my trust in America.”

Burgum centered his campaign on the economy, energy and national security, and repeatedly warned that China was the “number one threat” to the U.S.

The RNC is expected Monday evening to announce which candidates qualify for the fourth debate.

President Trump confirmed last week he will not participate in the debate.

After Many Rumors, President Trump Confirms His Plans For The Fourth GOP Debate

Join The Conversation. Leave a Comment.


We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.