Chief Justice John Roberts just stepped into the White House ballroom battle, and President Trump scored the immediate win he needed.
Only hours before a court-ordered construction cutoff was set to take effect, Roberts temporarily blocked the injunction that would have stopped aboveground work on the $400 million project.
For now, the crews can keep building.
But this is a crucial distinction: Roberts has not issued a final ruling on the legality of the project. His order preserves the current situation while he or the full Supreme Court considers the Trump administration’s broader emergency request.
The breaking decision was announced Friday afternoon:
BREAKING: SUPREME COURT CHIEF JUSTICE ALLOWS WORK ON TRUMP’S $400M WHITE HOUSE BALLROOM TO CONTINUE FOR NOW.
— Insider Paper (@TheInsiderPaper) August 21, 2026
The Supreme Court’s official docket records the order in National Park Service v. National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Roberts stayed the preliminary injunction entered by the federal district court in Washington on April 16. The stay will remain in place until Roberts or the full Court issues another order.
That short language carries enormous practical weight. A divided federal appeals court had allowed the lower-court restriction to take effect on August 21, which would have forced the White House to stop the aboveground portion of the project.
Roberts acted after reviewing the administration’s application, the National Trust’s response and the government’s reply. The docket does not give his reasoning, and it does not set a deadline for the next Supreme Court action.
This is exactly the emergency relief the administration requested last week.
The Trump administration’s emergency application asked Roberts to stop the injunction from taking effect while the government seeks a longer stay and prepares a petition asking the Supreme Court to hear the case.
Solicitor General D. John Sauer argued that the injunction improperly interferes with the president’s authority over the White House complex.
The filing describes the ballroom as part of an integrated military and security project, not a stand-alone event space.
The administration says the larger complex includes hardened construction, secure gathering space and protection against modern threats. It argues that forcing work to stop would leave a massive open construction site beside the White House, increase costs and disrupt a design that is already well underway.
According to the filing, the project was about 65% complete when the emergency application reached the Supreme Court. The government also said crews were working 20 hours a day, seven days a week, with roughly $200 million already spent or committed.
The challengers see the case very differently.
The National Trust for Historic Preservation contends that President Trump cannot undertake a project of this scale without congressional approval. Lower courts agreed that aboveground construction should stop while the lawsuit proceeds, although underground security work was permitted to continue.
The Associated Press reported that Roberts issued a one-page temporary order just hours before the lower-court rulings would have forced the halt.
The project is planned as a roughly 90,000-square-foot addition where the East Wing once stood. President Trump has said the ballroom will be funded through private donations, including his own contribution, while the administration has increasingly emphasized the security features tied to the construction.
The preservation group accuses the White House of moving so quickly that it could finish much of the structure before the courts resolve whether the president had authority to proceed. The administration answers that a shutdown now would create its own security and logistical dangers.
Roberts’ order does not settle that constitutional fight.
It does, however, prevent the lower-court injunction from freezing the project at a critical moment.
That means the immediate deadline has passed with construction still authorized. The next move could come from Roberts alone or from the full nine-member Court.
President Trump promised that he would take this fight all the way to the Supreme Court.
On Friday, his administration got the last-minute lifeline it was seeking.
This is a Guest Post from our friends over at WLTReport. View the original article here.






