Last week, Prince Harry was caught on video at the premiere of Lion King in begging Disney CEO Bob Igor to consider his D-actress wife for a voice-over job with Disney.
They are trying to take down this video of Prince Harry asking the CEO of Disney to give Meghan a job! Be a shame if this went viral. Pls do not RT pic.twitter.com/SKlCImSN83
— Jack Posobiec🇺🇸 (@JackPosobiec) January 13, 2020
Today, it was announced that the prince who has been supported by taxpayers for his entire existence will now be on his own—but what does that mean, exactly?
ITV reports – The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are to no longer use their HRH titles and will repay £2.4 million of taxpayers’ money spent on renovating their Berkshire home, the couple has announced, as talks about their future roles concluded.
The Queen said in a statement: “Following many months of conversations and more recent discussions, I am pleased that together we have found a constructive and supportive way forward for my grandson and his family.
“Harry, Meghan and Archie will always be much-loved members of my family.”
Buckingham Palace said under the new arrangement agreed with Harry and Meghan they are “required to step back from royal duties” and will no longer receive public funds for royal duties, adding: “This new model will take effect in the Spring of 2020.”
So what does the announcement mean?
- The couple has effectively stepped down not just as senior royals, but as working royals in general
- Buckingham Palace have said they will no longer receive public funds for royal duties, as they will no longer be carrying out any
Does this mean Harry will have to rely on his D-actress wife’s income? Not likely…
- They will earn their own money, but the Prince of Wales will also continue to offer private financial support to the couple. This is expected to come from his £21 million a year Duchy of Cornwall income
- Buckingham Palace said it would not comment on whether Meghan and Harry will have to pay for their own security but said “there are well established independent processes to determine the need for publicly funded security”
- The couple will pay back £2.4m in taxpayers’ money which was used to renovate Frogmore Cottage, but will use it as their base when they return to the UK, paying rent at a commercial rate on the property
A formal statement from the Queen of England was released only hours ago, announcing that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, are stepping back from all royal duties and will no longer use HRH titles. Furthermore, they will repay the £2.4 million grant to renovate Frogmore Cottage and retain the home. They will mostly live in North America effective in the Spring of 2020.