Tragedy struck Oxford High School last week as four students were killed and multiple others injured in a school shooting. The suspect was identified as 15 year old Ethan Crumbley, who is now in custody along with his parents who are also being charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter. After finding that his parents were allegedly negligent in giving him access to weapons and not taking his homicidal threats seriously, school officials are now being scrutinized for their negligence. The Hill Reports–
“Oxford High School officials in Michigan had legal grounds to search 15-year-old suspect Ethan Crumbley’s backpack and locker prior to a shooting that left four students dead, but did not do so, Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald said on Monday.”
McDonald further said that prosecutors have not ruled out charging school officials or “anyone” when asked if school officials might be prosecuted.
School officials have been criticized for their handling of the shooting and under reacting to numerous warning signs in the days and hours leading up to the shooting.
Just hours before Crumbley allegedly killed multiple students, he left a note that contained homicidal threats on his desk.
“On November 30, the morning of the shooting, Ethan’s teacher came upon a note on Ethan’s desk that alarmed her to the point that she took a picture of it on her cell phone. The note contained the following: A drawing of a semi-automatic handgun pointing at the words: ‘The thoughts won’t stop—Help me!’ In another section of the note was a drawing of a bullet, with the following words above the bullet, “Blood everywhere!”
Crumbley’s parents did not take him home that day and the school let him remain there without searching his backpack or locker.