Is that even a thing? Do students actually take an open-ended hiatus from school until federal laws are passed that they’re passionate about?
Parkland school shooting survivor David Hogg says he will not return to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School until more gun control is passed.
Hogg made the comments Sunday during a gun control rally held at Temple B’nai Abraham in Livingston, New Jersey.
The New York Daily News reports that Hogg said, “I’m not going back to school on Wednesday until one bill is passed.” He did not specify which law he wants most, only that he is not going back until at least one law garners the support of lawmakers.
He said, “Literally any legislation at this point would be a success. Considering the fact that so few legislators in Florida met with us and they want the people to forget, that’s disgusting. The fact that they want people to forget about this and elect them again as the child murderers they are, that’s unacceptable and we’re not going to let that happen.”
To date, state-level gun control proposals include “tougher background checks,” a bump stock ban, a waiting period for long gun purchases, raising minimum age for rifle purchases to 21-years old, and gun confiscation orders similar to California’s Gun Violence Restraining Orders. All of these gun controls were proposed last week by Florida Gov. Rick Scott (R) and not a single one of them would have prevented the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
Proposed gun controls at the federal level include proposals similar to Gov. Scott’s, plus an “assault weapons” ban and “universal background checks.” Rep. Ted Deutch (D-FL) is a leading voice for these gun controls, even though neither one would have prevented the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting. (The “assault weapons” ban would not have prevented the shooting because such a ban if fashioned like the 1994-2004 ban, does not actually ban certain guns. Rather, it bans cosmetic features. And universal background checks would be impotent because the gunman, Nikolas Cruz, passed a background check for the rifle he used on February 14.) – Breitbart