57-year-old Dion Boyd, a 29-year veteran of the Chicago Police Department committed suicide at a police facility in Chicago only 13 days after receiving a promotion to deputy chief of criminal networks. Boyd’s death follows the death of two other first responders in Chicago over the past two days.

Illinois firefighter Tom Howard, who specialized in the mental health awareness and suicide prevention of first responders told WGN9 that in addition to Boyd is the third first responder to have taken his own life in the recent days, citing a combination job-related stress and civil unrest are causing more stress than ever.

Trending: Mike Lindell Responds To Threatening Letter from Dominion Lawyer: “I want Dominion to put up their lawsuit because we have 100% evidence that China and other countries used their machines to steal the election”

Last week, we shared this video of Chicago Police officers being pelted with bottles and fireworks as they were protecting rioters from ripping down the iconic Christopher Columbus statue in what has become an even more violent city.

Heavy – Boyd’s body was found July 28 at the Chicago Police Department’s Homan Square Detention Center, a detention block where claims of abuse have festered for years, according to CBS Chicago. The site has been the subject of journalistic investigations, federal lawsuits, and, more recently, protests.

According to a 2019 article in Addiction Center, the Chicago Police Department had an “epidemic of police suicides this past year. Chicago’s police suicide rate was 60% higher than the national law enforcement average.”

“Boyd is the second officer to die by suicide this year,” according to WGN and one of 10 CPD officers who have committed suicide since 2018.

Blue Help, an organization to support families of law enforcement officers who die by suicide, reports that in 2020 so far 98 officers have taken their own lives in the U.S. In 2019, the number to date was 228.

The Chicago-Sun Times reported Boyd shot himself. According to WGN’s sources, Boyd killed himself Monday night, July 27, and his secretary found him at 9 a.m. Tuesday morning.

Within hours dozens of members of law enforcement created at motorcade procession to take the 57-year-old’s body to the medical examiner’s office.

“There’s really no way to convey or express the magnitude of this loss,” Superintendent David Brown said. “We are shocked and saddened at the loss that is deeply felt by me and the many colleagues and friends with whom Deputy Chief Boyd worked and mentored throughout his career.


The job of a police officer is hard enough, but with all of the additional pressures of job that come with the hatred being spewed at police officers by the left these days, it’s hard to imagine how they cope with the pressure each day.

Join The Conversation. Leave a Comment.

Please note that because of a spike in malicious comments, we are holding all comments for moderation before publishing.