In the aftermath of two mass shootings in Texas, the popular Republican United States Senator, Ted Cruz tweeted a link to a Breitbart News article with the headline: At least 25 people were shot, seven fatally, during the first half of Labor Day Weekend in Democrat-controlled Chicago.
Along with the article, Senator Cruz tweeted:
Gun control doesn’t work. Look at Chicago. Disarming law-abiding citizens isn’t the answer. Stopping violent criminals—prosecuting & getting them off the street—BEFORE they commit more violent crimes is the most effective way to reduce murder rates. Let’s protect our citizens.
Lori Lightfoot, Chicago’s new, radical, Democrat mayor, responded to Cruz’s tweet by hilariously blaming Republicans for the gun violence in Chicago. In her tweet, the mayor claims that “60% of illegal firearms recovered in Chicago come from outside IL.” If the firearms are illegal, why does it matter where they come from? Lightfoot’s tweet only reinforces the idea that criminals are always going to find ways to get guns and that law-abiding citizens must have the ability to purchase and own guns to protect themselves.
Lightfoot ends her tweet by arrogantly telling the United States Senator to “keep our name out of your mouth.” Spoken like a true communist— the mayor of one of the most crooked cities in America is dictating to a U.S. Senator what type of speech he is or is not allowed to use in his tweets.
60% of illegal firearms recovered in Chicago come from outside IL—mostly from states dominated by coward Republicans like you who refuse to enact commonsense gun legislation. Keep our name out of your mouth. https://t.co/yVM4JHL3xy pic.twitter.com/pr613A3dpf
— Lori Lightfoot (@LightfootForChi) September 3, 2019
According to Hey Jackass, a website dedicated to chronicling crime statistics in Chicago, a person is shot every 3:06 minutes in Chicago. Every 16 minutes and 46 seconds a person is murdered in Chicago. In a city run by Democrats for decades, how is this a Republican problem?
Senator Cruz destroyed Chicago’s radical new mayor with facts that were laid out in a series of five tweets:
1. Mayor, your anger is misplaced. Virtually every year, Chicago has the most murders of any city in America. In 2017, the top five were: Chicago (650 murders), Baltimore (343), Philadelphia (317), New York (290), and Los Angeles (286).
1/x Mayor, your anger is misplaced. Virtually every year, Chicago has the most murders of any city in America. In 2017, the top five were: Chicago (650 murders), Baltimore (343), Philadelphia (317), New York (290), and Los Angeles (286). https://t.co/JYsaYcxgSF https://t.co/wcFc4MflzV
— Ted Cruz (@tedcruz) September 3, 2019
2. All five of those cities have had Democratic mayors for decades and aggressive gun control policies—none seems to be working. Your explanation (“blame Indiana!”) doesn’t hold water. There are 27 states with GOP governors. Chicago is not alone in having neighboring red states.
3. But Chicago’s murder totals are often DOUBLE the next closest city. So how do you explain the big cities in red states, without aggressive gun control laws, where murder rates are MUCH lower than Chicago?
4. Maybe, rather than getting angry when others point out the tragically high murder rate in Chicago, you put aside the partisan talking points & the failed gun-control policies Chicago has pursued for decades. Instead, lock up the violent criminals who are committing murder…
5. …PREVENT felons & fugitives from illegally buying firearms, and ALLOW law-abiding citizens (who are right now obeying Chicago’s prohibition) to exercise their constitutional right to protect their own lives and their families.
This video below, “My Young Niggas, They Gonna Murder,” was filmed in Chicago, and is a great example of the lack of respect for life that many young black men and boys have for each other in the city of Chicago.