While Florida criminals are being released from jail over fears of prisoners contracting COVID, a Florida couple who tested positive for COVID have been sent to jail for not following the local quarantine rules.

Key West residents Jose Antonio Freire Interian, 24, and Yohana Gonzalez, 26, tested positive for the coronavirus earlier this month. On July 14, Interian announced on Facebook that he had “just tested positive for COVID-19,” and warned that anyone who was in contact with him should get tested for the novel coronavirus.

Monroe County Sheriff’s Office

Interian and Gonzalez were ordered by the Florida Department of Health in Monroe County to quarantine at home and wear face masks around other people. They were ordered to stay at home for 14 days.

The property manager at the apartment where the couple was supposed to quarantine noticed they were not following the quarantine order. Surveillance video at the apartment building caught Interian walking his dog, washing his car, and going to a grocery store, according to the Miami Herald.

On Wednesday, the property manager informed the Key West Police that Gonzalez and Interian were not abiding by the quarantine order. The property manager provided the surveillance footage to authorities.

“There were complaints from the neighborhood of them continuing to be outside, going about normal life functions,” Key West City Manager Greg Veliz said. “An officer took the video to the judge and the judge signed the warrant.”

Trending: Elderly AZ Rancher Charged With First Degree Murder For Shooting A Mexican Man Caught On His Property Who Has Already Been Deported Multiple Times

The couple was arrested on Wednesday. They were taken to the Stock Island Detention Center and released on Thursday after posting a $1,000 bond.

Monroe County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Adam Linhardt said the couple was isolated from other inmates in “negative pressure” rooms where the air is not recirculated into other parts of the jail.

Save up to 66% on MyPillow products. Use promo code FedUp at checkout and save up to 66%.

“The whole idea is to keep them apart from the general population,” Linhardt said. “We’ve had people in those rooms before we’ve suspected of having it. If they show symptoms, that’s where people are quarantined.”

Are we still living in America???

Citizens being arrested for not following the government-mandated COVID rules isn’t just happening in Florida. Two weeks ago, a Kentucky couple was also placed on house arrest by the government after the wife tested positive for COVID and refused to sign a government-mandated Self-isolation and Controlled Movement Agreed order.

On July 19, 2020, we published an article about a Kentucky woman tested positive for COVID and refused to sign government-mandated paperwork, and was promptly placed under house arrest along with her husband. Both of them were forced to wear ankle-tracking devices to prevent them from leaving their residence.

NBC12 reports – Last week, Elizabeth Linscott got tested for the COVID-19 because she was planning to visit her parents in Michigan.

“My grandparents wanted to see me, too,” Linscott said. “So just to make sure if they tested negative, that they would be OK, everything would be fine.”

After testing positive but without showing any symptoms, Linscott said the health department contacted her and requested she sign documents that will limit her traveling anywhere unless she calls the health department first. She said she chose to not sign the documents.

“My part was if I have to go to the ER, if I have to go to the hospital, I’m not going to wait to get the approval to go,” she said.

But Linscott said she would take necessary precautions if she needed to go to the hospital, like letting workers know she has recently tested positive for COVID-19.

A couple of days after she denied signing the Self-isolation and Controlled Movement Agreed Order, Linscott said the Hardin County Sheriff’s Department arrived at her home without warning. Her husband, Isaiah, was home.

Fox News– After opting not to sign the health department papers, Linscott said she received a text message informing her that the situation would be escalated and law enforcement would be involved, KABC-TV reported. Her husband, Isaiah, said he was greeted by officers at their front door later that week.

“I open up the door, and there’s like eight different people, five different cars, and I’m like ‘what the heck’s going on?’ This guy’s in a suit with a mask. It’s the health department guy, and they have three papers for us. For me, her and my daughter,” Isaiah Linscott said.

“We didn’t rob a store. We didn’t steal something. We didn’t hit and run. We didn’t do anything wrong,” Elizabeth Linscott added.

The couple said they were fitted with ankle monitors that go off if they stray more than 200 feet from their home.

Elizabeth Linscott said that although she never refused to self-quarantine, “that’s exactly what the director of the public health department told the judge.”

“I’m like, ‘that’s not the case at all. I never said that” she said.

If she did need to go to the hospital, Linscott said she planned to take necessary precautions like informing healthcare workers that she recently tested positive.  The couple now plans to hire an attorney.

Join The Conversation. Leave a Comment.

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.