Donald Trump will not participate in the second GOP presidential primary debate on September 27th.
“The 45th President will skip the establishment event and speak directly to striking autoworkers in Detroit Michigan, thereby creating his own competing event to the traditional debates,” WLTReport noted.
Trump to Skip 2nd Debate, Give Detroit Speech on Auto Issueshttps://t.co/ZvSwswkQLk
— Jason Miller (@JasonMillerinDC) September 19, 2023
Trump skipped the first GOP primary debate in August and remains the frontrunner in the race.
Instead of participating in the debate, he’ll focus on the battleground state.
In recent days, he has been leaning hard into the strike, painting himself as sympathetic to the workers and accusing Biden of trying to destroy the car industry by expanding electric cars and other green energy policies.
The Sept. 27 trip, first reported by The New York Times, will also include a primetime speech, according to the person familiar with the plans who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity before they were made public.
That’s the date others in the GOP field will gather at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California, for the cycle’s second primary debate.
When his fellow GOP contenders gathered in Milwaukee last month, Trump instead took part in a pretaped interview with Tucker Carlson, which aired on the social media platform formerly known as Twitter during the debate’s first hour.
“Detroit’s carmakers and the United Auto Workers union were expected to resume contract talks Monday, as the companies seek to avoid further fallout from a limited strike that began late last week,” The Wall Street Journal noted about the strike.
Detroit’s carmakers and the United Auto Workers union were expected to resume contract talks Monday, as the companies seek to avoid further fallout from a limited strike that began late last week https://t.co/ZxWAiH7DGG
— The Wall Street Journal (@WSJ) September 18, 2023
The Associated Press had the latest updates:
The United Auto Workers union is stepping up pressure on Detroit’s Big Three by threatening to expand its strike unless it sees major progress in contract negotiations by Friday.
In a video statement late Monday, UAW President Shawn Fain said workers at more factories will join those who are now in the fifth day of a strike at three plants.
“We’re not going to keep waiting around forever while they drag this out … and we’re not messing around,” Fain said in announcing the noon Eastern time Friday deadline for escalating the strike unless there is “serious progress” in the talks. The union plans to disclose the locations of new strikes during an online presentation to members Friday morning.
Ford, General Motors and Stellantis said they want to settle the strike, and they held back from directly criticizing the escalation threat.Advertisement
Mark Stewart, the North American chief operating officer of Stellantis, the successor to Fiat Chrysler, said the company is still looking for common ground with the UAW.
“I hope that we’re able to do that by Friday,” Stewart said on CNBC.
GM said in a statement, “We’re continuing to bargain in good faith with the union to reach an agreement as quickly as possible for the benefit of our team members, customers, suppliers and communities across the U.S.”