To be sure, Giuliani had his detractors, but this is heartbreaking news for many…
Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani has removed his name from consideration for a position in President-elect Donald Trump’s Cabinet, the transition team announced Friday.
Giuliani, who is currently a vice chairman on the presidential transition team, had been rumored to be in consideration for secretary of state.
“My desire to be in the Cabinet was great but it wasn’t that great and he had a lot of terrific candidates and I thought I could play a better role being on the outside and continuing to be his close friend and adviser,” Giuliani told Fox News’ Neil Cavuto.
Trump met with Giuliani on Nov. 29., when the matter was discussed. He confirmed to Fox News that he had only been interested in being secretary of state.
“Honestly, the other positions I didn’t have an interest in, so that really was the only one I had any real interest in,” he told Cavuto.
Giuliani said he now intends to continue his work in the private sector. He also warned against the selection of Mitt Romney for the position, saying the former Massachusets governor had “gone over the line” in previous criticisms he made about Trump.
“I will support [Trump’s] decision, but my advice would be that Mitt went a little too far. You can make friends and make up but I would not see him as a candidate for the Cabinet,” Giuliani told Cavuto.
Trump praised Giuliani in a statement, calling him “an extraordinarily talented and patriotic American.” –FOX