A suspect has reportedly been arrested for breaking into the Colorado Supreme Court overnight and opening fire inside the building.

The man allegedly shot out the windows, held an armed security guard at gunpoint, and wandered around the building for nearly two hours before surrendering to authorities.

According to CNN, a preliminary investigation “confirmed a high probability” that the incident is not connected to “recent threats against the Colorado Supreme Court Justices.”

Per CNN:

In an afternoon news release, the Denver Police Department identified the suspect as 44-year-old Brandon Olson. He is being held for investigation of robbery, burglary and arson while the Denver District Attorney’s Office makes charging decisions, the release said.

It was not immediately clear whether Olsen had legal representation. CNN has reached out to the public defender’s office, though they maintain a policy of not commenting on criminal cases.


The break-in comes two weeks after the court ruled 4-3 to remove former President Donald Trump from the state’s 2024 ballot, finding he was ineligible to hold office under the 14th Amendment’s “insurrectionist ban.”

The FBI previously said it was working with Colorado law enforcement to investigate reports of violent threats against the Colorado Supreme Court justices following their ruling to remove Trump from the presidential ballot.

Tuesday’s incident began unfolding around 1:15 a.m. and ended nearly two hours later, when the suspect surrendered to police, according to the news release.

“Authorities say the episode unfolded at approximately 1:15 a.m. Tuesday when a two-vehicle crash occurred at 13th Street and Lincoln in Denver,” Fox News noted.

Fox News reports:

One individual involved reportedly pointed a handgun at the other driver, according to the Colorado State Patrol.

“A short time later, that same individual shot out a window on the east side of the Ralph L. Carr Colorado Judicial Center located at 2 East 14th Ave, Denver, CO 80203,” the agency said in a press release. “The individual entered the building and came in contact with an unarmed security guard from the Colorado State Patrol Capitol Security Unit.”

“The individual held the security guard at gunpoint and demanded access to other parts of the building,” Colorado State Patrol said. “The individual obtained keys from the security guard and proceeded into other parts of the building and accessed an unknown number of floors. Denver Police Department (DPD) officers, as well as Colorado State Patrol Troopers, responded to the scene and set up a perimeter. The suspect then made his way to the 7th floor, where he fired additional shots inside the building.”

At approximately 3 a.m., the suspect called 911 and voluntarily surrendered to police, state patrol said.

“He was placed in custody without further incident. There are no injuries to building occupants, the suspect, or police personnel,” according to the release. “The suspect was taken to a local hospital to be cleared by medical personnel. There is significant and extensive damage to the building and the investigation is ongoing.”


Join The Conversation. Leave a Comment.

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.