President Trump gave an order over the weekend, and the Pentagon has now cut a major U.S.-South Korea military exercise by more than half.
The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield drills began Monday as an 11-day operation. They will now end Friday, August 21, instead of continuing through August 27.
Some live field-training events have also been reduced, canceled, or converted to simulations following the president’s demand for a “substantial” reduction in American participation.
That is a major change made in real time, after thousands of troops had already begun one of the alliance’s two biggest annual exercises.
Reuters reported the new five-day schedule Wednesday morning:
South Korea and the US will cut the duration of their annual joint military drills to five days from 11 and scale back some field training, the allies said, after President Trump ordered a substantial reduction in US participation https://t.co/ZVBXHxPyaC
— Reuters (@Reuters) August 19, 2026
Reuters reports that Washington and Seoul agreed to cut the exercise from 11 days to five and reduce parts of the field-training schedule. South Korea’s defense ministry said the allies were still consulting on the precise details.
The Pentagon said essential readiness goals would be preserved. Certain events were canceled or shifted into simulations, but officials insisted there would be no degradation to American training objectives.
President Trump’s reasoning was blunt. He said the exercises cost too much, send an unnecessarily hostile signal toward North Korea, and make less sense when Seoul declined his request to assist the United States with the denuclearization of Iran.
He also pointed to his personal relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, whom he described as respectful and nonthreatening during his time in office.
The shortened schedule was confirmed publicly Wednesday, along with video from the region:
South Korea and the United States have shortened the duration of their joint military drills and scaled back field training exercises after US President Donald Trump ordered a “substantial reduction” in the annual war games.
The Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise, which began on… pic.twitter.com/3BXFJkaVLy
— GAROWE ONLINE (@GaroweOnline) August 19, 2026
Stars and Stripes reports that President Trump directed Secretary of War Pete Hegseth to make the reduction because it was too late to cancel the exercises entirely. The order arrived as U.S. and South Korean forces were preparing for command-post simulations, live-fire training, precision targeting, and other combined operations.
The exercise initially involved about 18,000 South Korean troops. Its first phase centered on defensive operations, while a second phase scheduled through August 27 was supposed to practice counteroffensive operations.
That second phase is especially sensitive to Pyongyang, which has long portrayed the allied exercises as rehearsals for an invasion.
The revised plan is already in effect. APT News published video as the two countries confirmed the shortened schedule:
The U.S. and South Korea have agreed to reduce the duration, scale and other aspects of their annual Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercise following a U.S. proposal. The drills, which began August 17, will now run through August 21, with some live-training activities reduced,… pic.twitter.com/UjlmK1m4kr
— APT News (@APT__News) August 19, 2026
The Associated Press reports that South Korean officials were not given advance notice before President Trump announced the reduction publicly. Foreign Minister Cho Hyun and Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back both told lawmakers that officials in Seoul and Washington had not been informed beforehand.
South Korea nevertheless confirmed the new schedule and said defense officials from both countries were in close consultation. President Lee Jae Myung’s office expressed hope that Trump’s relationship with Kim could produce meaningful talks and greater peace on the peninsula.
North Korea has not rewarded the gesture so far. State media condemned the exercises as dangerous and vowed that Pyongyang would continue taking steps to counter what it called a military threat.
The cold response is not surprising. Kim has spent years expanding his nuclear and missile arsenal, building deeper military ties with Russia, and insisting that the United States abandon denuclearization as a precondition for renewed diplomacy.
President Trump has dealt with this before. He suspended major war games after his 2018 summit with Kim in Singapore, arguing that the exercises were provocative, extremely expensive, and unnecessary while negotiations were moving forward.
The two leaders met three times during Trump’s first term. Those talks eventually stalled over sanctions relief and the scale of North Korea’s denuclearization commitments, but they broke a diplomatic freeze that previous administrations had accepted for years.
Critics will call the new reduction a concession. The stronger interpretation is that President Trump is using American leverage in two directions at once.
He is signaling to Kim that direct diplomacy remains possible while telling Seoul that an alliance cannot operate on autopilot when a partner declines to help the United States confront another nuclear threat.
The readiness question is legitimate, and the Pentagon must make sure American forces remain prepared. But endless exercises are a tool, not a sacred ritual.
If a five-day operation can meet essential training goals while cutting costs and creating room for talks, President Trump is right to demand that the military prove why six more days were necessary.
The next move belongs to Kim Jong Un. President Trump has opened the door without removing American forces, ending the alliance, or giving up a single sanction.
That is pressure backed by diplomacy — and it puts the burden on North Korea to show whether it is ready to deal.






