Rep. Bryan Steil, who represents Kenosha said Tuesday that President Trump’s visit will “help begin the process of healing” for the city.
The Wisconsin Republican expressed his approval of the president’s visit to the city after protests since the police shooting of Jacob Blake in Kenosha more than one week ago.
“President Trump answered my call when help was needed in Kenosha,” Steil said in a statement on Twitter. “Now he wants to thank the men and women who helped restore public safety in our community of Kenosha.”
We need to maintain public safety for the days and weeks ahead and begin to heal and rebuild the community of Kenosha. pic.twitter.com/Po8Smd4shJ
— Bryan Steil (@RepBryanSteil) August 31, 2020
“It’s positive he is coming to thank them and to help begin the process of healing and rebuilding our community,” he added.
— Bryan Steil (@RepBryanSteil) September 1, 2020
The White House announced the president’s trip to Kenosha over the weekend, where he plans to give a message on “law and order” amid the unrest in the city. Trump is expected to meet with law enforcement and survey the damage from the demonstrations, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany told reporters.
— The White House 45 Archived (@WhiteHouse45) September 1, 2020
Local Democratic leaders have spoken out against the president’s visit. Democrat Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers said Sunday he is concerned Trump’s “presence will only hinder our healing.” Kenosha Democrat Mayor John Antaramian told NPR’s “Weekend Edition” that he would prefer Trump not to visit “at this point in time.”
Protests broke out in Kenosha last week after a video circulated showing the Aug. 23 police shooting Blake, a Black man, at least seven times in the back as he opened the door to his SUV where his children were sitting, according to The Hill. Authorities said they attempted to use a Taser on him before the shooting.
— Jack Posobiec 🇺🇸 (@JackPosobiec) September 1, 2020
The protests turned deadly after two people were killed and another was injured in a shooting last week. Trump defended the shooting suspect, 17-year-old Kyle Rittenhouse, saying he was “very violently attacked” by protesters and he “probably would have been killed.”