On December 31, 2019, Iranian forces attacked our U.S. Embassy in Iraq. President Trump responded with force.
VIDEO: AH-64 Apaches protect @USEmbBaghdad. 🚁“We have taken appropriate force protection actions to ensure the safety of American citizens…and to ensure our right of self-defense. We are sending additional forces to support our personnel at the Embassy.”~@EsperDoD 🇺🇸🇮🇶 pic.twitter.com/amABHBAOcL
— OIR Spokesman Col. Wayne Marotto (@OIRSpox) December 31, 2019
The violent protests, which included smashed windows and sprayed graffiti on the embassy’s walls, were said to be in protest of the deadly U.S. airstrikes that targeted an Iran-backed militia over the weekend, killing 25 fighters. In turn, those strikes had been in response to a rocket attack on an Iraqi Army base that killed a U.S. contractor and injured several American troops.
President Trump thanked the Prime Minister and President of Iraq in a tweet, ensuring the world that our embassy was safe. In his second tweet, President Trump added a “threat” to Iran.
…Iran will be held fully responsible for lives lost, or damage incurred, at any of our facilities. They will pay a very BIG PRICE! This is not a Warning, it is a Threat. Happy New Year!
Defense Secretary Mike Esper sent 100 Marines to protect the US personnel in our embassy after it was attacked.
The terrorist who led the attack on our embassy was also a guest at the Obama White House in 2011.
The Daily Mail reports -Former guerilla fighter, Hadi al-Amiri was among those leading the charge against the US embassy in Baghdad when it was stormed and set alight by pro-Iran militants.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo shared a photograph of Amiri amid the rioters, condemning him as an ‘Iranian proxy,’ and calling those shoulder-to-shoulder with him ‘terrorists.’
The head of a leading pro-Iran Shia faction, Amiri exerts great power within Iraq’s state-sanctioned Popular Mobilization Forces (PMF) and was highlighted by Pompeo among three other men as the ringleaders of the siege.
The ease with which Amiri and these other commanders breezed through the heavily fortified ‘Green Zone’ has alarmed US officials, who have noted their militia’s increased presence around diplomatic buildings in recent weeks.
A former guerrilla fighter who fought for Tehran in the Iran-Iraq War, Amiri has been accused of terrorism against the US, of helping Iran to ship arms to Bashar al-Assad in Syria and has been pictured bowing before the Islamic Republic’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
In 2011, the leader of an Iran-backed US embassy siege in Baghdad was welcomed to the White House by Barack Obama before becoming Tehran’s ‘point man’ in Iraq.
Hadi al-Amiri was Iraq’s minister of transport under then-Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki and stood in the Oval Office as part of Maliki’s delegation on a visit to the White House in December 2011.
Amiri would have been well known to the Pentagon as the former commander of the Badr Corps, which received funding, training and arms from Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), designated a terrorist group by Trump earlier this year.
This afternoon, U.S. air raids took out Iran’s top military general along with two other top Iranian military officials near Baghdad’s international airport.
According to the AP – Gen. Qassim Soleimani, the head of Iran’s elite Quds Force, was killed in an airstrike at Baghdad’s international airport Friday, Iraqi television and three Iraqi officials said.
The strike also killed Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis, the deputy commander of Iran-backed militias known as the Popular Mobilization Forces, or PMF, the officials said.
Their deaths are a potential turning point in the Middle East and are expected to draw severe retaliation from Iran and the forces it backs in the Middle East against Israel and American interests.
The PMF blamed the United States for an attack at Baghdad International Airport Friday.
Almost immediately after the media reported the death of Iran’s top general, President Trump simply tweeted an American flag:
OANN is reporting that Iraqi news agencies are claiming that three top Iranian officials have been taken out by U.S airstrikes:
BREAKING: Iraqi news agencies say the following have been killed in a U.S. air strike near Baghdad:
Qassem Soleimani (Iranian Major general in the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps)
Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis (head of Kata'ib Hezbollah)
Mohammed Ridha (PMF head of protocol).
— Alex Salvi (@alexsalvinews) January 3, 2020
Liz Wheeler of OANN reminds everyone that President Trump warned Iran after their attack on our U.S. Embassy in Iraq not to mess with the U.S., saying it was not a warning, but instead, a threat.
Holy cow. (Probably) U.S. airstrikes on Baghdad airport kills Iran Gen. Qassim Soleimani, head of Quds Force of the IGRC.
Man, you gotta love when @realDonaldTrump tweets “this is not a warning, it’s a threat” to Iran & two days later… Soleimani is dead.
Don’t. Mess. With. 🇺🇸
— Liz Wheeler (@Liz_Wheeler) January 3, 2020
Instead of taking decisive action against Iran when faced with a crisis, former President Barack Obama paid them off with secret pallets of cash.
Today, on Twitter, Obama supporters criticized President Trump for killing Iran’s top general responsible for the deaths of reportedly hundreds of American troops.
Seems strange to me that so many outspoken progressives are actually upset at the death of a terrorist leader, and rooting for Iran against the US. Which team are they playing for?
— Ian Miles Cheong (@stillgray) January 3, 2020
The Wall Street Journal reported about how, in 2017 the Obama administration secretly organized an airlift of $400 million worth of cash to Iran that coincided with the January release of four Americans detained in Tehran, according to U.S. and European officials and congressional staff briefed on the operation afterward.
Wooden pallets stacked with euros, Swiss francs, and other currencies were flown into Iran on an unmarked cargo plane, according to these officials. The U.S. procured the money from the central banks of the Netherlands and Switzerland, they said.
Here’s a video of the Iranian jet picking up cash from the U.S.
The money represented the first installment of a $1.7 billion settlement the Obama administration reached with Iran to resolve a decades-old dispute over a failed arms deal signed just before the 1979 fall of Iran’s last monarch, Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi.
The settlement, which resolved claims before an international tribunal in The Hague, also coincided with the formal implementation that same weekend of the landmark nuclear agreement reached between Tehran, the U.S. and other global powers the summer before.
“With the nuclear deal done, prisoners released, the time was right to resolve this dispute as well,” President Barack Obama said at the White House on Jan. 17—without disclosing the $400 million cash payment.