Gone are the days of the media manufacturing news to harm a Republican President or his administration. Trump just put the media on full-blown notice. If the media makes the decision to lie or to ignore facts before publishing a story, they’re going to be exposed to every American. Day 2 in office, and the boom just dropped HARD on the FAKE mainstream media!
President Donald Trump didn’t take long to put his stamp on the Oval Office, reinstalling a bust of Winston Churchill that had gotten the boot under President Obama.
The Churchill bust was on view as Trump took some of his first actions as president, signing executive orders and a waiver to let generals serve in his cabinet despite prohibitions on ex-military tenure.
There was a transatlantic flap when Obama removed the Churchill bust in 2009. The White House at first denied it had been removed, but it was later confirmed that it had been returned to the British Embassy.
Reporters allowed into the Oval Office for the document signings observed the change.
Obama defended the removal on a trip to the United Kingdom.
‘I love Winston Churchill, I love the guy,’ Obama said at a press conference in London with then-Prime Minister David Cameron.
Then-London mayor Boris Johnson, now foreign secretary, attributed the removal to Obama’s ‘ancestral dislike of the British Empire’ owing to his father’s Kenyan heritage.
During the initial flap, then-White House press secretary Dan Pfeiffer defiantly denied the charge, saying ‘The bust is still in the White House. In the Residence. Outside the Treaty Room.’ In fact, that was another bust that had been a gift to President Lyndon Johnson.
The new Trump press shop didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment Friday night.
The Sun reported that when Johnson visited Trump tower and met with Trump advisors Steven Bannon and Trump son-in-law Jared Kushner, they asked for the bust to be returned.
‘The Prime Minister is happy to loan the Churchill bust to the White House and will be delighted to view it on display when she visits this Spring,’ a spokesperson for Prime Minister Theresa May told the paper. – Daily Mail
Yesterday, TIME reporter Zeke Miller erroneously reported that Trump removed the MLK Jr bust from the Oval Office. He was called out for lying by President Trump’s Press Secretary Sean Spicer and was forced to apologize:
Here’s the tweet from Trump’s outspoken Press Secretary Sean Spice:
Thanks to White House Chief of Staff for this wonderful picture of the MLK bust in the oval pic.twitter.com/Lzgj6RljvI
— Sean Spicer (@PressSec) January 21, 2017