The Republican presidential primary continues to shrink as 2024 approaches.
Businessman Perry Johnson is the latest GOP presidential candidate to exit the race.
Johnson’s decision to drop out comes after he failed to qualify for the next GOP primary debate.
“I ran for President with the single focus of ensuring that the country my children inherit is just as extraordinary as the America in which I grew up. I was worried that wouldn’t happen. The government’s out-of-control spending, which has caused rampant inflation and forced skyrocketing interest rates, is painful for middle America and hurting American families,” Johnson said in a press release.
“I must admit, the corruption among leaders at the RNC during this process was appalling,” he stated.
“Not only was the debate process set up to keep outsiders off the stage and without a voice, but when we did meet their arbitrary metrics, corrupt leaders used their authoritarian power to kick me off the stage at 11 p.m. the Monday before the debate, despite our team working with Fox News all weekend on logistics,” he continued.
“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the people should decide the next president of the United States, not the head of the RNC and her cronies,” he noted.
Read the full press release:
Perry Johnson released a statement on Friday: pic.twitter.com/OU5PIzLLVu
— Perry Johnson (@PJQualityGuru) October 20, 2023
Businessperson Perry Johnson has dropped out of the race for the GOP nomination for president, ending a mostly self-funded campaign.
Johnson is the third candidate to drop out of the race following Miami Mayor Francis Suarez and former Rep. Will Hurd.
The announcement comes after the RNC didn’t qualify Johnson for the first debate in August and the second debate in September. Johnson appeared to qualify for the first debate, but the RNC deemed the qualifying polls ineligible. He was unlikely to make it to the third debate, which had much higher thresholds.
2024 Republican candidate Perry Johnson announced today that he is suspending his campaign for president. pic.twitter.com/rcy3b10s6M
— The Recount (@therecount) October 20, 2023
So far, four GOP presidential candidates have qualified for the third GOP presidential debate in Miami, Florida.
So far, former President Donald Trump, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy and former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley have qualified for the debate.
Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and former Vice President Mike Pence have met the polling requirements but still need to hit 70,000 donors. Meanwhile, Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) still needs to hit 4 percent in one national poll and needs to reach 70,000 donors.Advertisement
Although Donald Trump already said he’ll skip the debate, Vivek Ramaswamy may also bypass the debate.
🚨Report: Vivek Ramaswamy is considering skipping the 3rd Republican Debate. pic.twitter.com/dWsWQ89pJW
— The Calvin Coolidge Project (@TheCalvinCooli1) October 20, 2023
Per Fox News:
Former President Donald Trump may not be the only 2024 Republican contender to rule out participating in next month’s third GOP presidential nomination debate in Florida.
Vivek Ramaswamy would not commit to the Nov. 8 showdown in Miami.
“I’m considering my options,” the multimillionaire biotech entrepreneur and first-time presidential candidate told Fox News on Wednesday after filing to place his name on the presidential primary ballot in New Hampshire.
Trump, who remains the commanding polling and fundraising front-runner for the Republican nomination as he makes his third straight White House run, pointed to his enormous lead over his large field of rivals as he skipped the first two debates. Late last month, Trump campaign adviser Chris LaCivita said Trump would not take the stage at the third debate.
Trump’s campaign is calling for all future debates to be canceled and that the Republican National Committee – which is organizing the debates – should “refocus its manpower and money” on defeating Democrats in next year’s election.