The leftist media is still pushing the fake news about the confrontation at the Lincoln Memorial between Catholic School Students and Native American activist, Nathan Phillips.
Vanity Fair’s Michael Knowles made a great point when he broke down the three groups who were at the Lincoln Memorial:
1. Catholic teens minding their own business on a class trip
2. Native American demonstrators (incl. Nathan Phillips) march up, beat drums, push into center of student group, call teens “beasts”
3. Black Israelites, who condemn whites as devils
Who’s in the wrong?
The left jumped on the fake news narrative about the Catholic students and carried it as far as they could—until the truth was revealed in a video shared by Matthew Schmitz on Twitter, that included with a call for apologies from those who condemned the students:
Here is a video clearly showing that Nathan Phillips approached the students. On the basis of the evidence we now have, I believe that people who issued categorical and one-sided condemnations of the students should retract and apologize. pic.twitter.com/GxmXcMuQgC
— Matthew Schmitz (@matthewschmitz) January 20, 2019
Robert P. George, a Princeton professor, and former Chairman, U.S. Commission on Int. Religious Freedom publicly apologized to the Covington Catholic boys for jumping the gun, in what he called, “stupid and unjust.” George even went as far as to say, “It is I, not the boys, who needs to take a lesson from this.”
I apologize to the Covington Catholic boys. What Rod Dreher says of himself goes double for me. I jumped the gun and that was stupid and unjust. It is I, not the boys, who needs to take a lesson from this.
— Robert P. George (@McCormickProf) January 20, 2019
Protesters have been demanding that Covington Bishop Foyes apologize to the Covington Catholic boys, who’ve bee receiving death threats and whose school had to be closed due to serious threats against the boys. Many blame Bishop Foyes, who they feel is partially responsible for the hatred these boys have been forced to endure from the Left. Bishop Foyes wasted no time publicly condemning the boys, following the confrontation with fake Vietnam veteran, Nathan Phillips, the Native American who banged his drum within inches of 16-year-old Covington Catholic student, Nick Sandmann’s face, while staring him down on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.
— Angenette Levy (@Angenette5) January 25, 2019
Today, in a letter to the Covington Catholic Students, Bishop Roger Foys of Covington issued an apology for a Jan. 19 diocesan statement that condemned the actions of some Covington Catholic High School students, following a widely publicized incident after last week’s March for Life in Washington, DC.
“We apologize to anyone who has been offended in any way by either of our statements which were made with goodwill based on the information we had,” said Bishop Foys in the letter, which was addressed to the parents of Covington Catholic students.
“We should not have allowed ourselves to be bullied and pressured into making a statement prematurely, and we take full responsibility for it.”
Foys also singled out Covington Catholic student Nicholas Sandmann, the student at the center of the controversy. A video emerged Jan. 19 of Sandmann standing in close proximity to Native American activist Nathan Phillips, who was, at the time, chanting and playing a ceremonial drum.
Completely different angle.
I'm sorry for judging this kid. pic.twitter.com/1WXz2s2Nhw
— Sandy (@RightGlockMom) January 20, 2019
Phillips made claims that he had been blocked and taunted by Sandmann, but video evidence later showed that Phillips had wandered into a crowd of Covington Catholic students while chanting and drumming.
“I especially apologize to Nicholas Sandmann and his family as well as to all CovCath families who have felt abandoned during this ordeal. Nicholas, unfortunately, has become the face of these allegations based on video clips,” said Foys. “This is not fair. This is not just.”
Breaking: Covington Catholic Bishop Foys makes FULL apology to Nicholas Sandmann and the students he wrongfully accused in his initial statement pic.twitter.com/gxXBX7C2nf
— Jack Posobiec ✝️ (@JackPosobiec) January 25, 2019
Catholic News Agency reports – Earlier in the week, Foys offered similar sentiments to the student body at Covington Catholic during a rally.
“Know that I stand with you, that I join with you in that ‘Spirit that will not die’ and that together we will work through this. Thank you and God bless you,” the bishop told students.
Bishop Foys was not the only high profile Catholic to unfairly condemn the Covington Catholic boys. The Maryknoll Missioners, who describe themselves on their website as, “The Maryknoll Fathers and Brothers (a.k.a. the Maryknoll Society) is a U.S. Catholic order of priests and brothers that devotes itself to spreading the LOVE of God among those in need across Asia, Africa, and Latin America.”
Their mission statement must’ve completely slipped their minds when they called a group of young teenage Catholic boys who traveled several hundred miles to march in defense of the lives of the unborn, a “racist mob,” suggesting that the boys have” tarnished the reputation of the Church”.
Christopher Manion asked when they would apologize on Twitter, calling them radical ideologues
Hey, Maryknoll radical ideologues – have you apologized yet for your malicious, ignorant slander yet? Covington Bishop Foys has. You are free to borrow the language of his humble and *very* revealing statement.https://t.co/akjceqDUxE https://t.co/NXNBVhdG02
— Christopher Manion (@realchrismanion) January 25, 2019