The family of Kyle Busch has revealed the cause of the two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion’s death.
According to a statement released by the Busch family, a medical evaluation concluded that severe pneumonia progressed into sepsis, resulting in rapid and overwhelming associated complications.
Busch was 41 years old.
Kyle Busch died after severe pneumonia progressed into sepsis, resulting in rapid and overwhelming associated complications, according to a statement released by his family. https://t.co/MbPBCin9aZ
— ESPN (@espn) May 23, 2026
The announcement brings some measure of clarity after days of shock across the racing world following his sudden death.
Busch won the NASCAR Cup Series championship in 2015 and 2019, cementing himself as one of the most accomplished drivers of his generation.
Sepsis is a life-threatening condition in which the body’s response to infection causes widespread inflammation and organ failure. When it develops rapidly, the window for treatment can be devastatingly narrow.
The family’s statement did not elaborate on the timeline of Busch’s illness or the specific type of pneumonia involved.
Kyle Busch died after severe pneumonia progressed into sepsis, his family says https://t.co/HsWQyuegyp pic.twitter.com/bU7F8u0CCp
— Eyewitness News (@ABC7NY) May 23, 2026
Over the course of his career, Busch won 63 Cup Series races, ranking him among the all-time greats. He was also a dominant force in the Xfinity and Truck Series, where his combined win totals across all three national series topped 200.
The racing community has been united in grief since the news broke, with drivers past and present paying tribute to a competitor known for his intensity, skill, and refusal to settle for anything less than a win.
He leaves behind his wife Samantha and two children.
This is a developing story. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Busch family during this unimaginable time.
The Associated Press reported on the family statement and medical evaluation:
Kyle Busch died after severe pneumonia progressed into sepsis, resulting in rapid and overwhelming associated complications, according to a statement released by his family.
Dakota Hunter, vice president of Kyle Busch Companies, said the family received the medical evaluation on Saturday. Busch, a two-time NASCAR champion, died at 41 on Thursday, one day after he passed out in a Chevrolet simulator.
ADVERTISEMENTThe medical context matters here. Sepsis is considered a life-threatening medical emergency that can happen when the body has an extreme response to an infection and the immune system begins damaging tissues and organs, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Busch had been preparing for Sunday’s Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway. He was testing in a Chevrolet simulator in Concord, North Carolina, on Wednesday when he became unresponsive and was transported to a Charlotte hospital.
The update also underscored the size of Busch’s NASCAR career. He won 234 races across NASCAR’s top three series, more than any driver in history, and all 39 drivers in Sunday’s race are expected to carry a black No. 8 decal in his honor.
NASCAR also updated its official report with the family statement and Busch’s career record:
NASCAR’s official obituary was updated Saturday morning with the family’s statement on the medical evaluation.
The statement said the evaluation concluded that severe pneumonia had progressed into sepsis, resulting in rapid and overwhelming associated complications. The family also asked for continued privacy as they navigate the loss.
NASCAR noted that Busch was in his 22nd full-time Cup Series season. He won the Cup Series championship in 2015 and again in 2019, building one of the most accomplished resumes in modern racing.
The official account of his career included 63 Cup Series wins, which ranks ninth all time. Busch also had 102 wins in what is now the O’Reilly Auto Parts Series and 69 wins in the Truck Series.
Together, those numbers made Busch the winningest driver across NASCAR’s three national series. That is the career backdrop behind the grief now moving through the sport: the cause-of-death update came only days after NASCAR lost one of its most recognizable champions.
ADVERTISEMENT
NBC Sports added more context on the emergency call and the tribute planned for the Coca-Cola 600:
The same family-statement cause of death was tied to Dakota Hunter’s confirmation that the family received the medical evaluation Saturday.
Busch died Thursday at age 41, one day after passing out in a Chevrolet simulator while preparing for the Coca-Cola 600. The testing took place in Concord, North Carolina, before he was taken to a Charlotte hospital.
The emergency call added more detail to the final hours: Busch had shortness of breath, felt very hot, thought he was going to pass out, and was producing a little blood. Those details add context, but the official cause update remains the family’s medical-evaluation statement.
The tribute planned for Sunday at Charlotte Motor Speedway will be visible across the field. Every driver in the 39-car field is expected to race with a black No. 8 decal to honor Busch.
That gesture will put Busch’s number on every car in one of NASCAR’s biggest events, a sober reminder of how quickly the sport moved from preparing for a crown-jewel race to mourning a champion.
This is a Guest Post from our friends over at WLTReport. View the original article here.






