On January 7, Iran launched several short-range ballistic missiles into the Al Asad airbase in Iraq where American and coalition troops were being housed. The attack was in retaliation for the U.S. airstrike that killed Iran’s number one terrorist, Qassem Soleimani. There were no casualties.
After the attack, President Trump tweeted out a statement letting everyone know that “all is well.”
“All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well-equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.”
Military bases hosting US troops have been the subject of rocket and mortar attacks in recent months that have mostly wounded Iraqi forces but also killed one American contractor last month.
Reuters is now reporting that four people were wounded on Sunday in an attack on Balad airbase in northern Iraq which houses U.S. personnel.
The Iraqi military said in a statement that eight Katyusha rockets had been fired at the base, about 80 km (50 miles) north of the capital Baghdad, and that the four wounded included two officers.
There was no word of any U.S. casualties among the U.S. forces at the base.
The military sources said the mortar bombs fell in the base’s runway inside the base, which is located in Salah al-Din province, 80 km (50 miles) north of Baghdad.
A majority of US airmen stationed at the Balad air base had already left, the military sources said, following tensions between the US and Iran over the last two weeks.