Last night, a massive group of thugs many of whom were armed busted into businesses in Chicago’s luxury shopping district known as the Magnificent Mile. Tourists come from all over the world to visit what used to be one of the world’s most exclusive shopping districts. The once shining city is now struggling with an incredible surge in crime and a radical, far-left mayor who is unable to contain the criminals and restore law and order. Residents and business owners in Chicago are expressing concern about their ability for the city to make a comeback after the first wave of violent crime in the name of George Floyd.
Chicago Tribune – More than 100 people were arrested as of 9 a.m., according to Chicago Police Supt. David Brown. Thirteen officers were injured during the unrest, including a sergeant who was hit by a bottle. A civilian and private security guard were shot and wounded.
City officials said the seeds for the violent crime spree were sewn on social media Sunday afternoon following an officer involved shooting in the Englewood neighborhood. Officers shot and wounded a 20-year-old man Sunday after he fired shots at them while being chased, authorities said.
These incredible videos show the looters, who are acting more like they’re attending a party than stealing merchandise from high-end stores.
— boot licker viti (@selfdeclaredref) August 10, 2020
Fox News reported on the new, violent, coordinated takeover of Chicago’s Magnificent Mile – Chicago Police Superintendent David Brown said as of Monday morning, responding units have arrested more than 100 people so far on charges ranging from disorderly conduct to battery against police. He added that 13 officers were hurt in the unrest, including a sergeant struck in the face with a bottle and an officer who had his nose broken while scuffling with a group of looters.
“This was not an organized protest. Rather, this was an incident of pure criminality,” Brown told reporters. “This was an act of violence against our police officers and against our city.”
On Friday, Chicago Alderman Brian Hopkins (2nd) is warning that Chicago is in jeopardy of losing many of the businesses on the Magnificent Mile.
Chicago CBS Local reports – Just two months ago it was the epicenter of unrest. Then this week there was a murder on Oak Street and Michigan Avenue. All of that is on top of a pandemic that has taken a toll on everyone. The Mag Mile businesses aren’t unique, but Ald. Brian Hopkins (2nd) said it is the recent violence and spike in burglaries that is causing real concern now.
A Chicago icon, the Magnificent Mile’s 13 blocks are known across the world. It’s a draw for tourists and a serious boost to the city’s bottom line. What would the city look like without all of this? Hopkins says we could find out.
“Some of the suburban retailers are starting to see some upticks in their activity,” he said. “On Michigan Avenue? We are not seeing that at all.”
There are existing vacancies, some stores still boarded up, others dealing with plummeting sales, what Hopkins calls a spike in theft, and safety concerns keeping people away.
“We’re losing tax revenue, and we are losing sales tax on a daily basis,” he said. “If this trend continues, we won’t have a viable downtown. And it’s not going to be that long. We’re talking a few years. Privately they’re telling me they can’t sustain this. They can’t continue at the level they’re at right now, and if it keeps up, we are going to see a rash of business closures in the downtown area.”
Hopkins was in a meeting with Mayor Lori Lightfoot and business owners in the area who were expressing their concerns, when the shooting happened Tuesday afternoon. Rapper FBG Duck was shot and killed. Two others were seriously injured.
“We have to have additional patrol resources dedicated to downtown right now,” he said. “This is getting out of control, rapidly. If people are afraid to come downtown, they fear for their life, they’re not going to want to shop here. They’re not going to want to live here, and downtown will gradually hollow out.”
Neighborhood groups echoed those concerns, specifically about safety.
“Nordstrom and Bloomingdales and Ferragamo, and all large Marquee stores that are on the avenue here attract people from all over the world and all over the U.S. and all over Chicago,” said Mike Riordan of the River North Residents Association. “It’s one thing to lose control one weekend, but then it’s another thing for this stuff to keep ongoing. It opened the floodgates to a bunch of brazenness and lawlessness that we’ve never seen here before.”
There doesn’t seem to be a lot of remorse by Chicago residents who’ve helped themselves to stolen merchandise in the formerly safe shopping district.
Chicago thugs who looted the stores during the first wave of Justice for George Floyd violence brazenly shared videos themselves on social media with their stolen loot.
One woman in Chicago was on video bragging about her loot and saying this isn’t the first time she’s done this:
Here’s a video from a man whose brother owns five of the stores being looted. He shows looters ransacking a Nike store: “There goes the Nike store.”
“That’s my brother’s store,” he says, adding, “It’s hopeless” and “you can’t do sh*t about it”…
Here’s a first-hand look at the looting posted by a man who’s watching, as his brother’s store is being looted:
The video below shows a swarm of people breaking into stores and then the aftermath with looters hiding in the ceiling of one store.
“They ransacked 5 retail stores to the ground that belong to my brothers. After taking a hit for more than a month due to COVID 19 and now this. So sad.”
The people of the South Side of Chicago were left with few options for food after the looting: