The city of Louisville is continuing to show its support for the heroic 26-year-old Louisville Metro Police Officer Nickolas Wilt, who remains in critical condition two weeks after being shot in the head by a gunman in a downtown bank.

Nickolas Wilt, 26

Two weeks ago, a man named Connor Sturgeon, 25, entered the Old National Bank in downtown Louisville where he was employed. Sturgeon opened fire with an AR-15 assault rifle and killed five people within the bank.

Wilt, a new police officer with the LMPD, was one of the first on the scene and approached the bank with his training officer, Officer Cory ‘CJ’ Galloway.

Without hesitation, Wilt ran toward the gunman to try and stop him from taking any more lives, but he was shot in the head. Galloway quickly killed the shooter after his partner was taken down.

Although the reports indicate improvements in Wilt’s medical condition, the brave officer remains in a medically induced coma. He was also diagnosed with pneumonia last week accompanied by severe lung complications.

Wilt’s family members, however, remain “confident that Nick’s resilience and the care he is receiving will help him to recover.”

As of Wednesday, Wilt is in critical yet stable condition.

The community has continued showing support for the young officer who risked his life to save other innocent lives.

On Monday morning, a “Wilt’s Louisville” banner was unveiled along Bluegrass Parkway that is visible from Interstate 64.

On Tuesday night, a crowd gathered in Jeffersontown for a vigil honoring Wilt for his bravery.

“They didn’t wait,” Lt. Col. Steve Healy told the crowd at the vigil. “They didn’t wait to see if they had keys to get in. They didn’t wait if they had enough people to make entry. They just knew they had to go anyway. And that’s what they did.”

“Officer Wilt is still fighting with the determination and grit that he had when he responded that day,” added Healey.

The Lousiville Metro Police Foundation has collected donations for the young officer and his family during his recovery process. So far, over $150,000 in donations have come in.

“Although he still has a long way to go in his recovery journey, Nick’s continuous improvement is encouraging,” the foundation said. “The family is staying vigilant in their support of Nick and is keeping their faith strong as they work to help him overcome these challenges.”

Join The Conversation. Leave a Comment.

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.