Black Lives Matter to descend on scene in 5…4…3…2…1

A Philadelphia man wanted in a weekend shoplifting attempt at a Marshalls store in Deptford that left an alleged accomplice dead after she tried to run over a police officer remained at large Monday, authorities said.

The investigation is continuing into the incident that occurred Saturday when two officers were called to the Marshalls, in a strip mall at 1800 Clements Bridge Rd., at about 3:40 p.m., to respond to a report that a man and two women were shoplifting there. A security guard in the store had recognized one of the suspects from a state police bulletin about an organized retail theft ring targeting the Marshalls chain.

Police were first called to the Marshalls department store on 1800 Clements Bridge Road around 3:40 p.m. for a report of a shoplifting in progress. Police were also alerted that one of the shoplifting suspects was wanted in connection to a prior homicide.

When police arrived they spotted three suspects later identified as Raoul Gadson, LaShanda Anderson, 36, and Chanel Barnes — all of Philadelphia.

Police say Gadson was resisting with loss prevention agents from the store. As police approached, Gadson allegedly fled the scene on foot while Anderson and Barnes entered a rented Nissan Armada.

Upon arrival, the officers saw the male suspect, Raoul Gadson, 43, of Philadelphia,  struggling with store security guards. Gadson fled as the officers approached, while the two women — LaShanda Anderson, 36, and Chanel Barnes, 27, both of Philadelphia —  jumped into their rented Nissan Armada.

Police ordered Anderson, the driver, to stop, but she accelerated and headed for them. She struck one officer, a patrol captain with 27 years on the force, with her open driver-side door.   Witnesses said she then “accelerated straight at the [other] officer,” who fired in self-defense, prosecutors said.

The second officer, a sergeant and 17-year veteran, fired three shots at Anderson, causing the car to veer and narrowly miss him. Anderson was pronounced dead at the scene; the Gloucester County Medical Examiner’s autopsy on Sunday confirmed she died of gunshot wounds.

Barnes, the passenger, was taken into custody and charged with shoplifting. She is in the Salem County jail pending a hearing.

Gadson, who was charged with second-degree robbery and assault, escaped and remains at large, Bernie Weisenfeld, a spokesman for the county Prosecutor’s Office said Monday morning.

Shoplifting suspect LaShanda Anderson, 36, was fatally shot by police Saturday. Delaware State Police released this photo last year.

The police captain struck by the car door was uninjured.  The sergeant will be placed on leave pending the completion of an investigation into the shooting. Authorities did not identify the officers involved.


In a statement, Gloucester County prosecutors said the three suspects had left the store with “with a substantial amount of unpaid merchandise.” –


Join The Conversation. Leave a Comment.

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, profanity, vulgarity, doxing, or discourteous behavior. If a comment is spam, instead of replying to it please click the ∨ icon below and to the right of that comment. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain fruitful conversation.