The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is directing all flights carrying U.S. citizens who have recently been in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Uganda, or South Sudan to arrive at Dulles International Airport in Virginia.

Upon landing, Americans who have been in any of the countries within the past three weeks must undergo enhanced screening for Ebola.

“As of May 21, 2026, all U.S.-bound American citizens and lawful permanent residents (LPRs) who have been present in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Uganda, or South Sudan within 21 days of arrival in the United States must only enter through Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) for enhanced screening,” the State Department said.

“The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will apply enhanced public health screening at IAD in response to the Ebola outbreak. The Dulles requirement applies to all passengers, including U.S. citizens and LPRs, who were present in those countries,” it continued.

More from The New York Times:

ADVERTISEMENT

The Department of Homeland Security did not elaborate on the enhanced public health measures it will carry out at Dulles. But the department said it would work with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to screen travelers arriving at the airport, which receives the largest number of travelers originating from Congo, Uganda and South Sudan.

Earlier this week, the C.D.C. invoked an emergency public health rule to block entry into the United States by travelers who had been in the three African nations in the past 21 days. That restriction did not apply to American citizens or U.S. service members.

The restrictions came after the World Health Organization declared the Ebola outbreak a global health emergency last weekend. The outbreak is suspected to have caused more than 130 deaths and nearly 600 infections, according to the W.H.O. The agency’s head said on Wednesday that there was little risk of the outbreak developing into a pandemic, even as the number of suspected cases and deaths continued to climb.

“This suspension Order applies to covered aliens who have departed from, or were otherwise present within, DRC, Uganda, or South Sudan during the last 21 days (regardless of their country of origin). This Order is based on an assessment of the most recently available data and current conditions regarding the Ebola disease outbreak,” a CDC order read.

“This order is time-limited and shall be in effect for 30 days from the date of issuance. This Order is intended to address the serious risk of introduction of Ebola disease into the United States, while allowing the U.S. Government the time necessary to conduct a full assessment of the unique public health risks posed by Ebola disease, assist with implementing surveillance, diagnostic capabilities and contact tracing, and develop a comprehensive mitigation and containment strategy in consultation with other stakeholders,” it continued.

Reuters shared further:

Funneling travelers to just one airport represents a departure from the response to ​the 2014 to 2016 outbreak in West Africa when the U.S. screened in five international airports and will create bottlenecks and logistical challenges for travelers, infectious disease ​experts said.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Thursday the diversion was meant to “protect the American people.”

“Objective number one is to make sure that Ebola never reaches the United States. Objective number two is do what we can to help the people of DRC and neighboring countries so it doesn’t spread,” he said.
Prior administrations have focused on containing emerging infectious ​diseases at their source, before they spread and cross international borders.

In 2014, the United States required travelers returning from three African countries over Ebola concerns ​to arrive at one of five U.S. airports with enhanced screening, including Dulles, New York JFK, Chicago O’Hare and Atlanta.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Ideally you’d like to see more of a regional effort ‌that would ⁠cover more airports, cover more places, but that takes resources and infrastructure,” said Dr Jeanne Marrazzo, chief executive of the Infectious Diseases Society of America and former director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, who noted cuts in public health funding.

 

Join The Conversation. Leave a Comment.