NASCAR announced Thursday afternoon that Kyle Busch, the two-time Cup Series champion and the winningest driver in the history of NASCAR’s three national series, has died.

He was 41 years old.

The announcement came in a joint statement from the Busch family, Richard Childress Racing, and NASCAR, posted to NASCAR’s official account on X.

NASCAR said the entire racing family was heartbroken and asked fans to respect the privacy of Busch’s wife Samantha and their children Brexton and Lennix.

NASCAR posted the joint statement here:

ADVERTISEMENT

The news came just hours after the Busch family posted a separate statement to Kyle’s official X account saying he had been hospitalized with a severe illness and was undergoing treatment.

That earlier statement said Busch would miss his scheduled activities at Charlotte Motor Speedway, including this weekend’s Coca-Cola 600 events.

The family shared that update here:

No cause of death has been publicly disclosed.

The family has asked for privacy.

Earlier Thursday, before the death announcement, NBC Sports carried an Associated Press report detailing Busch’s hospitalization and career:

Kyle Busch had been hospitalized with a severe illness and would not compete at Charlotte Motor Speedway. The family statement said he was undergoing treatment and asked for privacy while the family navigated the situation.

Busch had asked for medical help after the May 10 race at Watkins Glen. According to the TV broadcast, he had been dealing with a sinus cold aggravated by the road course’s intense G-forces and elevation changes.

Busch finished eighth in that race and remained 24th in the Cup Series standings through 12 races. Austin Hill was named to replace him in the Coca-Cola 600.

ADVERTISEMENT

Busch was a Las Vegas native, a two-time Cup champion, and one of NASCAR’s most productive winners ever. It credited him with 234 wins across NASCAR’s three national series, the most in the sport’s history, including 63 Cup Series victories and the 2018 Coca-Cola 600.

Signs that something was wrong had appeared nearly two weeks earlier.

After the race at Watkins Glen on May 10, NASCAR on FOX reported that Busch had asked for a doctor to meet him following the event.

RACER also reported on the hospitalization Thursday morning before the death announcement:

Busch had been hospitalized with an undisclosed illness and would not race at Charlotte Motor Speedway. He had been scheduled for both the Cup Series Coca-Cola 600 on Sunday night with Richard Childress Racing and the Craftsman Truck Series race Friday night with Spire Motorsports.

Busch had won the previous weekend’s Truck Series race at Dover Motor Speedway and was 24th in the Cup Series standings through 12 races. That made the sudden Charlotte absence a major development even before NASCAR’s later statement.

Richard Childress Racing said Kyle’s health was the organization’s top priority. RCR said Austin Hill would drive the No. 8 Chevrolet in his place and said Busch’s car would be ready and waiting for him.

RCR also asked fans to keep Kyle and the Busch family in their prayers while respecting the family’s privacy. Within hours, NASCAR’s official account posted the joint statement announcing Busch’s death.

Kyle Busch was a Las Vegas native who won the NASCAR Cup Series championship in 2015 and 2019.

ADVERTISEMENT

He racked up 63 Cup Series victories during his career and 234 wins across NASCAR’s three national series, more than any driver in the history of the sport.

Known as “Rowdy” to his fans and the broader NASCAR world, Busch was one of the most talented and polarizing figures the sport has ever produced.

He drove the No. 8 Chevrolet for Richard Childress Racing and had won a Truck Series race at Dover just last weekend.

He is survived by his wife Samantha and their two children, Brexton and Lennix.

He was 41 years old.

This is a Guest Post from our friends over at WLTReport. View the original article here.

 

Join The Conversation. Leave a Comment.