President Trump just turned a midnight tariff deadline into a new deal with Canada — and one part of his announcement could reshape the fight over North American energy.
The president said he is pausing a sweeping new round of 50% tariffs for three days while Washington and Ottawa finish the documents behind their agreement.
Those tariffs had been scheduled to take effect Wednesday morning. Instead, President Trump announced that the two countries now have a deal in hand, subject to the final paperwork.
Then he added the line that made this more than a routine trade extension.
"I have paused the 50% Tariffs against Canada, that were scheduled to kick in tomorrow morning for a three day period, based on the fact that Canada and the U.S.A., subject to the finalization of documents, have a DEAL! The great Keystone XL Pipeline, long ago killed by Sleepy… pic.twitter.com/u5xEHMKPaW
— The White House (@WhiteHouse) August 19, 2026
In the full statement, Trump said the Keystone XL pipeline “may be awoken from the grave.”
That is a major signal. The proposed pipeline was designed to move crude oil from Alberta into the United States, but Joe Biden revoked its cross-border permit on his first day in office.
Trump revived the project on paper after returning to the White House. A trade agreement that brings Canada back to the table on Keystone XL would give that effort an entirely different level of momentum.
The deal is also shaping up to be much broader than one pipeline.
The United States Trade Representative said the package will include comprehensive market access for American goods, economic-security commitments, digital-trade alignment and protections for American workers.
USTR also described the agreement as a framework for working with Canadian partners, showing that the three-day pause is meant to finish a serious package rather than simply move the deadline.
Congratulations Mr. President. The deal will include comprehensive market access for all American goods, economic security commitments, digital trade alignment, and many important provisions that will continue to protect our market and American workers, along with our Canadian… https://t.co/YSQ4rNmKAv
— United States Trade Representative (@USTradeRep) August 19, 2026
The leverage behind the agreement had been building for a month.
A White House fact sheet announced three separate tariff actions in July targeting Canadian treatment of American motor vehicles, alcoholic beverages and dairy products.
The administration said Canada had restricted U.S. wine and spirits while continuing to accept products from other countries. It also accused Ottawa of discriminating against American cheese exporters and applying an unfair tariff system to U.S.-made vehicles.
The planned response was an additional 50% duty on affected Canadian imports beginning August 19. The White House said the measures were meant to force fair treatment for American producers rather than let Canada keep one-sided barriers in place.
The fact sheet also said the United States declined to renew the existing North American trade agreement in its current form because it was not delivering enough for American industry. The tariff deadline therefore sat inside a larger push to rewrite the economic relationship on terms more favorable to the United States.
The U.S. Trade Representative put the value of the targeted imports at nearly $20 billion.
Ambassador Jamieson Greer said President Trump used Section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930, a rarely used authority that permits duties of up to 50% when a foreign country discriminates against American commerce.
Greer called Canada’s policies unfair to U.S. farmers, distillers, automakers and workers. He said the administration was restoring reciprocity after years of barriers that previous leaders failed to remove.
Section 338 gave Trump a direct response to those barriers without waiting for another round of open-ended diplomacy. The threatened duties were tied to specific Canadian practices, giving Ottawa a clear path to avoid them by changing the terms of trade.
Canada knew the deadline was real.
Global Affairs Canada said on August 6 that its negotiators were engaged intensively with the United States.
Ottawa identified relief from the Section 338 tariffs as a central objective. Canadian officials also said they wanted progress toward a modernized CUSMA, the Canadian name for the North American trade agreement.
That public statement came less than two weeks before Trump said a deal had been reached. It shows Canada was trying to avoid the new duties well before the final hours.
Canadian negotiators were also consulting provincial and territorial trade ministers, a sign that Ottawa expected any agreement to reach across multiple industries and regions. The country’s own readout described the talks as an effort to resolve outstanding issues for the mutual benefit of both nations.
The timing went right down to the wire.
The Associated Press reported that the agreement arrived less than two hours before the tariffs were due to begin.
The duties would have covered about $20 billion in Canadian goods, including products ranging from hockey equipment to cement. The three-day pause now gives both governments a narrow window to complete and sign the documents.
The report said the announcement followed direct talks between Trump and Prime Minister Mark Carney during an intense final negotiating push. Without the pause, the new import taxes would have begun at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday and immediately widened the trade dispute.
The covered goods also included Canadian alcohol and dairy products. That breadth explains why both governments were racing to secure terms before the deadline hit businesses on both sides of the border.
AP summarized the immediate result Wednesday morning:
President Trump says the U.S. and Canada have reached a last-minute deal to delay 50% tariffs on $20 billion worth of Canadian imports. https://t.co/4gF5oNiD5Z
— The Associated Press (@AP) August 19, 2026
The documents still matter. Until they are finalized, the exact concessions, enforcement provisions and Keystone XL language remain unfinished.
But the direction is unmistakable: Canada faced a hard deadline, came to the negotiating table and accepted a framework that U.S. officials say will expand access for American goods and protect American workers.
If Keystone XL is ultimately part of the final package, President Trump will have used tariff pressure to reopen an energy project Biden tried to bury on day one.
That would make this last-minute pause much more than a delay. It would be the beginning of a major America First trade and energy win.
This is a Guest Post from our friends over at WLTReport. View the original article here.
What are your thoughts?








